This is a pilot project in Nalanda district, focusing on a couple of villages, which could be widely promoted in the South Bihar region, should the study demonstrate the appropriateness of Bhungroo® technology in storing excess storm water in shallow aquifers and accessing it during dry seasons for irrigation of crops (and even supplementing drinking water, with additional safeguards).
- Greater understanding of the rate of infiltration, quantity of storage/recovery and transmissivity processes of contamination associated with aquifer storage and recovery (ASR)
- Assess the effectiveness of the Bhungroo® (as part of ASR) technologies for conjunctive use in the agriculture sector in South Bihar.
- Deliver a comprehensive aquifer map for recharge and estimation of the potential injection of surface water into the selected aquifer.
- Address the irrigation needs of an agrarian community but can also provide drinking water security with appropriate safeguards.
- Provide a model for implementation, including awareness, local capacity and chain of facilities, in the form of a manual, to ensure sustainability of the technology and wider adoption in the region in areas with similar hydrological characteristics.