This project aimed to support ACIAR to consider the barriers to data utility in its investment portfolio and look for opportunities to address them, including specific ways to improve its grant-making processes.
CABI engaged with ACIAR Research Program Managers and its partners during 2022 to better understand and document data management and sharing challenges across a range of geographies and domains. Activities included a range of desk studies and analyses, interviews, surveys, partner engagement events and facilitated workshop.
- Finalised investment selection criteria to determine which investments to analyse.
- Produced an agreed project plan with amendments as applicable.
- Delivered a risk register showing the key risk, the area to which a risk applies, details and implications, score based on impact and likelihood, risk management strategy, and responsible individual.
- Provided an evidence-based assessment of the state of FAIR implementation across ACIAR investments.
- Identifying common, and nuanced regional technical, cultural, and institutional barriers, and the necessary infrastructure, training, and documented capacity development needs.
- Understanding of the purpose, actionability and sustainability of a regional roadmap.
- Synthesized findings of regional assessment and feedback to ACIAR team.
- Produced Needs Assessment and End project reports.
- Articulated vision and recommendations for how to overcome barriers within the scope of ACIAR grant-making practices.
CABI International (Central and West Asia)