Project final report
Development of a PNG timber industry based on community-based planted forests: design and implementation of a national germplasm delivery system - Final report
This project aimed to promote the development of the PNG plantation-based timber industry by developing approaches to establishment of germplasm supply and delivery mechanisms and by facilitating their adoption.
The project sought to address the shortage of adequate supplies of tree germplasm (seeds or planting stock) for selected high value tree species in PNG.
- Installed “core” germplasm production units in each of three regional hubs.
- Secured existing teak genetic resources.
- Enabled and exemplify local germplasm production and/or delivery though
establishment of working pilot projects.
- Determined the feasibility of nursery microenterprises as a mechanism for delivering
germplasm from source (seed-tree) to end-users.
- Facilitated scaling-out (to new regions) and scaling-up (within existing hubs) of the
approaches developed and tested in the three hubs.