Our support to Pakistan focuses on a collaborative approach for the long term security of food, water and energy by providing research and development and building technical capacity.
The ACIAR country strategy focuses on agribusiness, key fruit crops (mangoes and citrus), livestock (smallholder dairy), agricultural policy, horticulture and agricultural water management. Our collaboration with Pakistan dates back to 1984, with recent extensions to our research support involving China to better understand rural transformation processes and policies.
- Building an innovation-based sustainable agricultural sector.
- Using public investment to improve the profitability of agriculture.
- Ensuring food security and freedom from hunger.
- Focus on horticultural crop management and value-chain practices, particularly in high-value crops such as vegetables, mango and citrus.
- Increased dairy and beef production and marketing, including genetic aspects, animal nutrition, disease control, effective extension support and capacity building of researchers.
- Improving productivity issues and disease risk in wheat, smallholder diversification into other crops such as legumes (chickpea, lentil and peanuts).
- Managing land and water resources, salinity, productive enterprises, policy development, including agriculture markets and water investigation of social policy and capacity obstacles and issues in agriculture markets and water.
Active projects by program area
Developing food loss reduction pathways through smart business practices in mango and tomato value chains in Pakistan and Sri Lanka
Improving smallholder well-being through participation in modern value chains: sustaining future growth in the Pakistan citrus industry
Accelerating genetic gain in wheat through hybrid breeding in Bangladesh, Ethiopia and Pakistan
Understanding the drivers of successful and inclusive rural regional transformation: Sharing experiences and policy advice in Bangladesh, China, Indonesia and Pakistan
Strengthening vegetable value chains in Pakistan for greater community livelihood benefits