Our support to the Pacific focuses on reducing poverty and improving livelihoods in agriculture, forestry and fisheries with Fiji, Kiribati, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu and Vanuatu.
The ACIAR regional strategy focuses on projects in biosecurity, climate resilient livelihoods, and opportunities for stronger agribusiness development in fisheries, forestry, crops and soil and land management. Read more about our Papua New Guinea Country Office.
- Improving food and nutritional security due to the high prevalence of nutrition-related diseases.
- Understanding and addressing the impacts of climate change on food systems resilience and livelihood security.
- Strengthening regional biosecurity through trade protocols and individual and institutional capacity.
- Enabling inter-country collaboration through regional projects, capacity-building, and supporting a stronger forum for exchange of ideas and experiences.
- Implementing a long-term capacity-building program targeted at building skills in the sciences related to agriculture.
Active projects by program area
Strengthened surveillance for vector-borne zoonotic and livestock diseases in Papua New Guinea
A farm planning approach to increase productivity and profitability of smallholder cattle systems in Vanuatu
Development of a third party verified voluntary sustainable certification program for beef and other key commodities in Vanuatu
Sectoral analysis and investment requirements for improving Fiji and Samoa small ruminant sector
Increasing the productivity and profitability of smallholder beekeeping enterprises in PNG and Fiji